Monday, December 22, 2008

Call Me

I win. 48 hours without using my phone, plus 9 hours extra credit. Go me. So what did I achieve or take away from this self assigned test of will power? Two things really.
It made me realize that my phone dependency truly does have an effect on my kid. Quality time does not consist of whipping out the phone every 3 minutes to send a text. She even noticed its absence; her little hand made regular fishing trips into my bra in search of the "pone." Yeah, sometimes I put it there. Not to mention, the fact that she seems to think every remote, calculator, and occasional cheese slice is a mode of communication, is disturbing.
The no phone challenge was isolating. I know, that was kind of the point. However, in making myself "available to my family" I felt like I pushed away some of my biggest supports. My living situation is far from ideal - we currently live with my parents. Mad appreciation for that, but at the same time it is a soul crushing existence. It can feel physically and emotionally claustrophobic. My phone provides an escape from reality, social connections, and comic relief.
I guess it boils down to the whole "everything in moderation" theory. I saw the advantages of leaving the phone behind, yet I don't think I want to abandon my texting ways.
Oh good God, the mother-in-law lands tomorrow, if I offended anyone in any way, I'm sorry...I may need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment