Sunday, February 15, 2009

Stronger

I did not shower or dress until well after 3:30pm today, due largely in part to physical pain and emotional distress.
Saturday kicked off the beginning of a week long vacation and my original plans to be with friends fell through due to children inflicted with various illnesses. I did however, attend fat class: down another pound. I also decided to take advantage of the balmy 40+ weather and geared up to head out on my first attempt at running outside.
Why, why, why can't pavement be as springy as my beloved treadmill? I quickly discovered that I could only run in spurts. I was unable to pace myself or regulate my breathing in the cold February air. Not to mention the fact that, as I ran, my pants crept dangerously further and further down my ass. Two miles in I began to feel the overwhelming urge to sit in a snowbank and cry.
I've known all along that outside runs would be vastly different, however, the reality was still a harsh one. I made it the 3.5 miles to the village store and called the Other Half for a ride home. I was able to do all of this in under 45 minutes, but still felt the sting of defeat.
Today I awoke with sore ribs and hips, aching tibialis anterior muscles and a shitty attitude. I stayed in my PJs, chatting with a long lost "friend" on Facebook and probably ate way too much. The guilt I'm feeling says I ate too much anyway.
Weather permitting I will be back out there tomorrow. My day of wallowing in self pity is over in 10 minutes and then it's time to get over it. I know that was only my first attempt and it will only get better from there. Plus, I bought smaller running pants yesterday. Like Kanye says: 'N-n-now that that don't kill me can only make me stronger." He also says "Well I'd do anything for a blonde dyke," but that's a confessional post for a later date.

1 comment:

  1. Is there something wrong w/ showering and dressing at 3:30. hee you quoted Kanye West.

    ReplyDelete