Friday, January 16, 2009

Missundaztood

Oh my crap! Will this sickness ever go away? I lost a day and a half this week to the super plague. Bonus, I also lost nearly 3lbs, but for the price of a little dignity along the way. Nearly shitting yourself while vomiting is undignified.
I returned to work today feeling shaky and dizzy, but overall healthy. By the end of the day I was back on top, until...
I heard something that literally made my stomach flop. Then I cried. Yeah, I'm a puss.
Basically, things were said about someone and it hurts me how completely venomous and hateful these comments came across. In my heart I'd like to believe they were not meant to sound quite so bad.
Now I'm struggling to gather my feelings and identify why exactly they affected me in such an intense way. I think it's because it came out as such a judgemental and personal attack on ones' economic and social standing for the sheer benefit of amusing others. I also think it's because it made me wonder if I am guilty of doing the same. I fully admit to being caustic and opinionated. I know I've said plenty of negative things about others, but I'd like to think I've never taken such a low blow. My negativity is generally directed at the idea and not the person him/herself.
I believe my job has strengthened my ability to interact with others in a genuinely compassionate and non judgemental way regarding their social/class standing. My experience has given me a better understanding of who people are and the reasons behind their actions.
At the risk of sounding psychoanalytical, the person referred to, I believe is truly sweet yet possesses no self esteem and a strong desire to be loved and accepted. Unfortunately, this person's desire leads to making questionable and risky choices. It's sad to witness these actions. Honestly though, I have also made mistakes for many of the same reasons: to be loved, accepted, impress people who are now, years later, no longer in my life. At the core of it, this person is fun, energetic, and means well. Why can't that be enough for everyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment